header ad unit

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Fireplace: Patching...and More Patching

I promise this project will become more exciting soon. It seems like I'm just inching along, huh? Well....'tis the life of the busy DIY-er! I'm sure many of you can relate. Between kids, church, work, family, and other commitments, I think we all have those things in our lives that keep us busy and keep us from devoting 100% of our time to DIY projects. And it's probably better that way. After all, a DIY project is not worth the effort unless you have friends and family to share it with, right? :)

So.....here we are again, looking at a fireplace that only looks subtly different from the last time we saw it. I know, I want this project to move along faster too.



One of the most tedious, but also rewarding, tasks is caulking and overall making sure that everything looks "seamless." So, today (Day 6? Day 7? I stopped keeping track) I caulked and patched.


It's really amazing how caulking and patching really make it come together!

{cue the Beatles...}




And it only gets better with paint! But I couldn't paint just yet....I had an "issue" I was intentionally ignoring until the absolute last minute.

I present to you....the "issue." Notice the gap behind the "feet" of my surround? This is what happens when you don't really know what you're doing and you piece together a fireplace surround using existing supplies.


I really couldn't leave it like that. If you're looking at the fireplace straight on, it looks fine (notice how all of my pictures thus far have been straight on? I'm very clever, indeed). But if you look at it from any other angle, the feet just look like a bad old-timey facade.

So, in keeping with my theme of re-using as much existing material as I could, I pulled out the remains of a 2x4 and very gingerly diced it into small blocks using my miter saw. If you decide to try this at home, please for the love of fingers, do NOT put your fingers near the blade of your miter saw. Instead, flank the small piece of wood you intend to cut smaller with two solid boards. Secure one of those boards using your saw's built-in lock, and hold the other board steady with your hand (safely away from the blade), and then make your cut. Of course, it's always better to use the right tools for the job, but since I didn't have the right tools, I figured I'd let you in on how I improvised. This method worked for me, but please make sure you work with someone knowledgeable before you try this yourself. I shall not be held liable for any missing digits. And always wear eye and ear protection. And eat your vegetables. Ok, my disclaimer is over.


I secured my wood blocks into the gaps using construction adhesive. A perfect fit! I used some spackle to smooth things out, and soon, very soon I shall be ready to paint (finally!!).



 
Cheers!!


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment