header ad unit

Monday, November 12, 2012

Nursery: Upcycle Dress into Pillow Covers

You may remember my recent debacle with fabric.com canceling part of my fabric order for the nursery because their systems were calculating inventory availability incorrectly. I have still not found a suitable replacement for the curtain fabric, but thank you to everyone who chimed in with a suggestion! I checked all of the spots you recommended, but alas could not find the fabric any where else, and couldn't find a replacement. I think I may have come up with a new direction for the curtains, so stay tuned for that.

In the meantime, I started working on some pillow covers for the pillows that will be going on the window seat in the nursery. I've had this green dress in my closet that I haven't worn in several years (after I washed it, it got a little funky). So, I decided to turn the dress into a pillow cover.



I tried to keep this project very simple, because frankly...my back hurt, my right ribs hurt, and it was uncomfortable sitting on the floor. Ahh the joys of the third trimester!

I laid the pillow on the dress and starting cutting.


I turned the fabric inside out and pinned around the pillow on three sides. I pulled the pillow out and sewed the three pinned sides.


I turned the pillow cover right-side in and stuffed the pillow back inside. I carefully sewed the third side closed.


And voila!


I repeated these steps for a smaller pillow.


And now I have two pretty darn cute pillows.


Cheers!
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! If you leave a comment as an anonymous user, please include at least your first name in the comment. Thanks friends!